Are you someone that loves to bring people together? Do you enjoy the task of building a community from the ground up – over social media, forums, email, and other forms of communication?
Does storytelling and educating excite you as much as helping to drive business results? Are you at your best when you're starting early and are able to create the community you want to see?
If you’re a builder at heart, expressive by nature and are driven by data and customer insight, then read on.
Ascend is looking for an experienced Community and Social Media Manager to join our mission to become the global leader in online charitable fundraising solutions. Reporting into our Director of B2B Marketing, you will help us build the category and position Ascend as a thought leader and premier brand via a comprehensive social media and community building program.
We have strong Canadian success behind us which includes lots of highly engaged and articulate customers willing to participate and engage with us. Your role will focus heavily on our expansion into the U.S. market where online gaming-based fundraising for not-for-profits is still in its infancy and where awareness and education building will be key.
As a member of our growing marketing team, you will own our community and social media strategy from planning through to execution. You will work closely with our Senior Content Manager to drive social media/community engagement to leverage existing content and create new content that works well on social media. You will also collaborate with our Paid Media manager to develop paid social media campaigns that resonate with our audience.
As our Community Manager, you will act as the voice and face of our brand and will be responsible for most community communications. Besides running our social media channels, you will be responsible for creating our very own user community from scratch. A forum, Slack or Discord channel? Facebook Group? LinkedIn Group? It’s all possible and you will choose how to run this.
Desired Skills and Experience
This is a dynamic and hands-on job that spans all core areas of community/social media marketing. You will be accountable for driving new customer acquisition via social channels while establishing Ascend as a dominant brand and player in an emerging category.
You have been a Social Media/Community manager at a fast-growing company for at least 2 years. Along the way you have demonstrated expertise in:
Social Media Strategy, Planning, Production: You are comfortable leading the development of a social media strategy that aligns with team and corporate goals and then building the plans, assets, and collateral to execute and deliver.
Community Management/Moderation/Curation: You are proficient at leading and managing the end-to-end process of creating a user community from scratch (or growing a small community). In addition to creating the community, you are adept at things like moderation, community contests and more. You have been able to create a highly-engaged user community and know how to drive excitement amongst a diverse user base.
Data/Analytics/Performance: At your core you believe that social media and a vibrant community has immense business benefits. From social hashtags to taking long form content and breaking it down into social friendly bits while being able to track all the relevant metrics, you’ve demonstrated the ability to plan and track the efficacy of the campaigns you run. Though we will not be measuring success simply on follower counts or engagement stats, you are ultimately guided by an overall performance and outcome focused mandate.
Scale: You’ve demonstrated the ability to deliver results that scale over time and distribution tactics and strategies that allow our brand voice and content to reach the target audience faster and engage them fully. Whether it’s leveraging existing thought leaders, existing customers or your entire community you know that content is best when it’s found, shared and part of the community.
What we’d like to see in our ideal candidate
We move fast, but we are smart about it.
• You thrive equally in strategy and execution.
• You are inventive and resourceful and can turn your ideas quickly into implementations.
• You are entrepreneurial at heart, but methodical in your approach
• You love to learn - about your craft and your own personal development as a marketing leader
• You get a rush when you’re super busy and getting a lot done. You get a super rush when your efforts land in a win.
• You would rather just try a new idea than spend days talking about it.
• You believe in collaboration and enjoy adding value and getting value by engaging with every department that touches the customer experience.
• You’re probably your own toughest critic and have an internal drive to succeed and help others do the same. You never want to be the weak link, but the strongest.
• You are passionate about helping charitable organizations raise money and increase their impact in their communities
• Basic video-editing skills as well as being able to create/host webinars and other video-based content is an asset, as is familiarity with Hubspot or similar products (Marketo, Eloqua, Pardot, etc).
Why work at Ascend?
Founded in 2008 as “Gaming Nation" our online gaming/lottery fundraising platform has been used by some of the world’s most notable sports franchises and their partners including the NFL, NBA, MLB, NHL, CFL, PGA, NCAA and NASCAR.
Today, as Ascend Fundraising Solutions our platform is now also being used by some of the world’s most notable non-profit organizations such as the Special Olympics and United Way. We are disrupting the fundraising model by helping charitable organizations bring their fundraising online, raise recurring donations, build on their donor datasets, build deeper engagement from their donor databases and achieve record donor revenues.
Our world record setting 50:50 draw for the Edmonton Oilers Foundation generated over $14 million in donations in one day! It also broke our platform - but we’re stronger for it and can take that hit at any time now.
We’ve helped over 500 charitable organizations raise over $800 million on our platform to date, but with online gaming/lottery-based fundraising still a relatively unknown category in the U.S. we’re only just getting started.
Our commitment to you
• Organizational support and a servant leadership culture focused on helping you develop and progress as a marketing leader
• A team that is intellectually curious, dedicated, and has a willingness to get the job done
• Opportunity to get in at the ground level and have a significant direct impact to the business in the short and long term
• Help grow a company that helps charities and NPOs fund their charitable causes
• Beautiful, downtown Toronto office with lake views and close proximity to transit
Work remotely for the foreseeable future due to COVID-19.
Ascend Fundraising Solutions is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race or ethnicity, religion, sex, national origin, age, veteran disability or genetic information or any other reason prohibited by law in employment.